Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My worst fears have been confirmed...

Octavia Butler died on Saturday (Feb. 25th), according to her long time friend Steven Barnes. This is my birthday. I am heart broken.

Steven is married to Tananarive Due, another one of my favorite writers. This is a nice tribute to Octavia Butler.

I feel so fortunate to have met her. A few years back, I heard she was coming to Chicago for a book signing. I brought 10 books of hers that I had previously read and stood in line and had her autograph every single one for me. I could tell she didn't mind because she smiled. Can you believe, I somehow missed a book and was planning on getting it autographed when I saw her again...

In October 2005, I went to The 15th Annual Gwendolyn Brooks Writers Conference at Chicago State University because they were honoring the great Octavia Butler.

Everyone could tell I loved Octavia Butler from my questions. I even tried several times, to gently nudge her to write a sequel to her Xenogenesis series. She said no with a smile and added, I will leave that for you to do. I responsed and said, my imagination is not as good as yours.

Xenogenesis series/Lilith's Brood

Dawn (1987)
Adulthood Rites (1988)
Imago (1989
The three volumes of this series are also collected into two omnibus editions, Xenogenesis (out of print) and Lilith's Brood. I'm so glad I have the Xenogenesis series (autographed).

I also tried to get her to reconcile Lauren with her daughter (Larkin) in the Parable series. She said no with a smile.

Parable series

Parable of the Sower (1993)
Parable of the Talents (1998)
Parable of the Trickster (Unwritten work)
Finally I said, when you killed Doro from your Patternist Series, although he was a soul sucking vampire, I was disappointed, and missed him. So I asked, is it possible that you could give your stories a Hollywood ending? She said oh no, no, no, and she smiled. I said well, you can't blame a girl for trying...

Another giant among us is gone. She will be missed...

All that you touch
You Change.
All that you Change
Changes you.
The only lasting truth
Is Change.
God ls Change.
-Earthseed: The Books of the Living
(from Octavia E. Butler’s Parable of the Sower)

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(9)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------