Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Friday, December 02, 2005

A Bad Habit

I’m beginning to believe that I have a knack for pissing people off. I have this habit of saying whatever comes to my mind. It appears people don't like this. The latest incidence started with this post by Jamie, Stuck and Unfinished.

Basically she was saying that she was not well like because among other things in her own words: I am biracial, which equates to: long curly hair, light skin, straight nose (ok-in other words: as close to a pretty white girl while still being black without officially being white).

I immediately thought she was talking about how bad and mean dark skin girls were to her because she is so beautiful because she was half white/black.

My initial response was this:

I don't want to minimize the pain you felt in high school. I'm probably the only one here that is disturbed by your portrayal of this whole issue. What you have shared says a lot about how you think of yourself and the attitude you portrayed as well. This whole light skin, dark skin stuff is deeper than what anyone here was willing to go into. It's almost as if you're saying the darker skin people had the problem and the lighter skinned people are innocent victims. The very thing you’ve described here, I’ve had a light skin girl just recently from California do the same thing and I had to stop her. In doing so, she tried to turn the thing around on me. By now, everyone should know the attitudes that are in places like California, Seattle, Minneapolis, Charleston SC, and New Orleans, but this is a topic for another discussion.

From there, the conversation degenerated even more. She forcefully said among other things she was talking about other biracial people but, quickly added that innocent mixed (white/black) girls are being victimized by dark skin girls. One thing for sure, I've never seen this type of victimization. In fact, if you ask darker skin people, they will tell you that when lighter skin people come with their attitudes, they simply ignore them. So, this was the first time I've heard this "mean dark skin girl thing harassing innocent and nice half white/black girls". Lord have mercy on us all (shaking my head in disbelief). This whole color thing is for the birds...

There is a lesson in all of this; it is not good to say what’s on your mind no matter how absurd you think the statement is. People really don't care to hear what you have to say unless it is flattery. Maybe, people/things shouldn't be taken seriously at all and life is truly hilarious. I guess, the more mundane, the better.

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(13)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------