. : About me : .
. : Recent Posts : .
Conyers Questions Republicans’ Morality in Federal...
. : Archives : .
. : Favorite African American Female Authors : .
. : Scientific - Search Engines : .
. : DNA Links : .
. : Miscellaneous : .
. : Credits : .
. : Petitions : .
. : Alternative Media Links : .
Accuracy in Media Bahiyah Woman Magazine Black Electorate.com BlackNews.com BlackPressUSA Chicago Defender Democracy Now Election Coverage Free Press.org Media Matters for America The Atlanta Journal-Constitution The Black Commentary The Nation Truth Out.org Watching America
. : Government : .
. : Progressives : .
A Little Left of Centrist Afro-Net-izen American Hot Sausage Black Perspective & Introspection ChazAtlas Church of the Bad News Culture Kitchen Daily Kos Hungry Blues John Kerry For President Julius Speaks LaShawn Barber Exposed Marian's Blog Mak Attack! Naro% Negrophile Onblast Media Peace Garden Rob's Blog State of The Qusan Swerve Left Talking Points Memo That Colored Fella The Disgruntled Chemist The eve of the apocalypse The Huffington Post Tiger Tale Journal Where the Dolphins Play Undernews Xenophon
. : Conservatives : .
. : Moderates & Others : .
a peace of me Black Ambition black prof Black Refer Call 2 Arms Cincinatti Black Blog Coffee House Studio Dear World Diane S Dick Gregory Dominique EditorMom Emerging Pheonix Humanity Critic James Manning Midlife Crisis NativeAlien Pen & Paper Professor Kim's News Proviso Probe Serenity 23 Shavonne SonnyRedd Southern Diva The Daily Fix Underground Railroad
. : Inspirational : .
. : Blogs Featuring African Related Issues : .
. : Social Networking Online Community for Black Professionals : .
. : Webrings : .
Friday, June 10, 2005Taken from Conyers' Blog
Going to Hell in a Hand Basket
You don’t have to be a genius to realize that our nation is heading in the wrong direction under GOP rule says John Conyers
NY Times June 6 Headlines
1. page A,9; a story on how Latin Nations are resisting U.S. calls for creation of a committee to monitor democracy. Is it any wonder when more than one half year after the Ohio fiasco not a single question has been answered by the Ohio Secretary of State to explain the massive irregularities?
2. page A, 10; a story on Texas Governor Rick Perry having a bill signing at an Evangelical School. Does separation between church and state have any meaning any more for the Republican party?
3. page A, 11; First Lady Laura Bush comes under fire for seeming to endorse a repressive regime in Egypt. Do we really have the credibility to advocate for liberties and democracy abroad at this point in time?
4. page A, 15; Missouri flies Confederate Flag at memorial service. Does anyone think elections don’t matter when the GOP Governor made this happen?
5. page A, 16; Sen. Biden urges U.S. to close Guantanamo. And this from an original supporter of the War. At least Senate Judiciary seems willing to hold hearings on the abuses. We’ll see.
6. page A, 22; Now we’re on the editorial page. Excellent editorial reminding us that the only thing stopping an historic world commitment to alleviate poverty in Africa is the U.S. Government. And for a fraction of the cost of the Iraq war.
7. page A, 22; Great piece by the Editorial Observer comparing the present unease to the mid 1970's in the wake of Watergate and Vietnam. Is there a silver lining? Adam Cohen notes the time could be ripe for a change of political control in the U.S.
8. page A, 23; Finally, the op-eds. Bob Herbert has another great column, this time on class war in America and Bush and GOP doing everything in their power to expand class injustices in America.