Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

One man's heroic deeds in the aftermath of Katrina...

The news media only focused on the lawless aspect of the trauma from people stranded after Katrina hit never emphasizing the heroic acts by those forsaken by the system. This is a story of courage, compassion, love, and friendship that is a part of the legacy and history of blacks living in the south.


A Roughneck on a Mercy Mission
Excerpt:

Thomas Sterling steered his skiff around the top of a submerged SUV and under a dangling power line, navigating his flooded 9th Ward neighborhood like a champion gondolier.

"Would you believe I've been up since 5 this morning paddling this boat?" Sterling asked.

"I ain't never seen so many dead people, and I ain't never saved so many people," Sterling said. "I must have rescued over 200 people."

The former dockworker, 53, on disability with a nerve condition, had never given a thought to evacuating."I knew I would survive, so I wanted to stay here and help other people who wouldn't leave or couldn't get out," said Sterling, whose chest tattoo says, "All Eyes on Me, Me Against the World."

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(0)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------