Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Support Cindy

by Congressman John Conyers, Jr.

I know you all agree with me that what Cindy Sheehan is doing in Crawford, Texas is heroic and important. I met Cindy a couple of months ago when she testified at the hearing I called on the Downing Street Minutes. Later that day, she helped me deliver your signatures to the White House demanding answers from the President about his pre-war deceptions. I want to share with you what struck me about that day, and is even more relevant now. I also want to ask you for your help.

It is not that hard for an elected official to take his time and energy and try to demand accountability from a President. It is what I was elected to do and it is my job. For a mother who recently lost her son in a war based on lies to turn her grief and anger into action and courage is a heroic act.

It is also important. The President’s defenders want to turn the debate over the war, over life and death, into a typical partisan skirmish. By doing so, they hope the country will divide neatly into a 50/50 split between Democrats and Republicans and the stalemate will continue. What Cindy is doing is taking this out of the realm of partisanship to where it belongs: cold and hard reality.

Continue reading

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(0)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------