Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Blasphemy About NOLA: A God With Whom I Am Not Familiar

By Tim Wise

IT ISN'T GOD THAT KEPT ME FROM TURNING AROUND AND BEATING YOUR LILY WHITE PRIVILEGED ASS...

This is an open letter to the man sitting behind me at La Paz today, in Nashville, at lunchtime, with the Brooks Brothers shirt:

You don't know me. But I know you.

I watched you as you held hands with your tablemates at the restaurant where we both ate this afternoon. I listened as you prayed, and thanked God for the food you were about to eat, and for your own safety, several hundred miles away from the unfolding catastrophe in New Orleans.

You blessed your chimichanga in the name of Jesus Christ, and then proceeded to spend the better part of your meal – and mine, since I was too near your table to avoid hearing every word – morally scolding the people of that devastated city, heaping scorn on them for not heeding the warnings to leave before disaster struck. Then you attacked them – all of them, without distinction it seemed – for the behavior of a relative handful: those who have looted items like guns, or big screen TVs.

Continue reading...

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(2)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------