Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Study Shows Methylphenidate (Ritalin) Linked to Chromosomal Changes

This article is interesting because Doctors had convinced my relatives that one of the children had ADHD and should be prescribed Ritalin. When I heard this, I almost had a heart attack. I intervened on the child's behalf. I told my family that most drugs are not benign. As a reward, I ended up keeping the child for an entire year. Within that time, I changed his diet because I thought he might be sensitive to processed sugar. After limiting his intake of processed sugars, a major improvement was observed in his behavior. I purchased books to bring him up to his grade level. Everyone was shocked and happy with his progress and this was five and half years ago and he is a perfectly little gentleman.

A new study found that every one of a dozen children treated for attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder with methylphenidate experienced a threefold increase in levels of chromosome abnormalities—occurrences associated with increased risks of cancer and other adverse health effects.

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(3)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------