Cynthia's Interests


The world as it unfolds - told from an African American woman's perspective...

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

This is the correct Part 5 of a 5-part series by Steve Weissman

You have to love the title of Part V, "The Ayatollah of Holy Rollers". And, as I stated before, I’m a sucker for catchy titles. Initially - I posted this article, but the more I thought about the article, I thought the parts I posted were too much sensationalism, so I removed it and kept it as a draft. In the meantime, Scud whom I'm watching with one eye - made an interesting comment, which incidentally, I am agreeing with parts of it. So, for that reason, I am reposting this article not because I believe everything that the article says, but to show that we sometimes have to disagree or discard some things from people that we once agreed with and accept some things from people we once disagreed with. Doesn’t that make me a flexible individual?

Scud, I don't want you to get a big head because I'm only agreeing with you this time. The next time, I'm sure we're going to be on opposite ends of the spectrum. Now, don't you think that having constants in your life is a good thing? And, our disagreements are one thing that are constant...

If you can get past "The Ayatollah of Holy Rollers" part the author makes some interesting points.




America's Religious Right - Saints or Subversives?

Part I: The Lure of Christian Nationalism
Part II: Hang Ten and Fight!
Part III: A Deadly Culture of Life
Part IV: Pie in the Sky
Part V: "The Ayatollah of Holy Rollers"

Excerpts:

Death by stoning for atheists, adulterers, and practicing male homosexuals.

Stoning - or possibly burning at the stake - for atheists, heretics, religious apostates, followers of other religions who proselytize, unmarried females who are unchaste, incorrigible juvenile delinquents, and children who curse or strike their parents.

And, oh yes, death to witches, Satanists, and those who commit blasphemy.

Does this sound like a radical Islamist nightmare, a replay of Afghanistan under the Taliban?

Welcome to the United States of America as Christian Reconstructionists hope to run it. Not as a democracy, which they see as secular heresy. But as a reconstructed Christian nation, complete with biblically sanctioned flogging and slavery.

The Bible rules, OK? And, in its name, a small elect of true believers are now seeking capital-D Dominion over every aspects of our government, laws, education, and personal lives.

posted by Cynthia   Permalink| Comments(8)|

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------